Here we go.

28 September 2012

Chicago, Pt. III

We've got it down.  Traveling via automobile to Chicago and back is a cinch. 
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


There's no decent food or coffee on this particular route.  We've remedied this by packing lots of food, instant coffee, and the electric kettle.
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

The first thing we did when we rolled up into Chicago was go to Hot Doug's .  It's obviously good!
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


We got two Chicago-style dogs, the Elvis, cheese fries, and duck fat fries:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

I said to ATM that though not many people have heard of Django Django or listen to them at all, they are surely sick of me talking about them.  Well, my condition has worsened after seeing them live.  I was curious how they'd pull it off live, but they did -- I was surprised that my favorite song they would perform would be Skies Over Cairo as opposed to album-favorites Hail Bop and WOR.   And they are adorable to boot.  I mean, they use a comically large tamborine, coconuts, and a vibraslap as percussion.  UK art-school cuteness coolness.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

The Djangos:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Comically large tambo:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

The only shot with all four:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

They had a lot of stuff and they used every last bit of it:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Great great show. Didn't take them long to warm up the crowd for dancing.  I appreciate that you can tell that between the four, they listen to everything including house, techno, and other electronic music.  And hip hop.  And Monty Python. And Rawhide.  And Carl Sagan.  You know.  ALL . I adore them.  They make me want to play a little music myself.  

The next morning, Chicago was cold and windy, which made it really easy to want to leave.  We did stop by 206 S Jefferson, the birthplace of Chicago house music.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

I could spend a lot of time taking snapshots of old signs & buildings in Chicago.
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Homeward:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


No comments:

Blog Archive